What is the COMPASS Test?
COMPASS is an untimed, computerized test that helps your college evaluate your skills and place you into appropriate courses. COMPASS offers tests in reading, writing and math. You will receive your COMPASS test results immediately upon completion of testing, and your score report will include placement messages informing you what courses you should take.
Compass is not used like a traditional test. There is generally no "passing score." Rather, COMPASS scores indicate areas in which you are strong and areas in which you may need help.
How to Schedule a test?
You can schedule a test date and time by calling:
541-506-6011 in The Dalles or 541-308-8211 in Hood River
The placement test days:
Mondays and Wednesdays at 9:00am or 2:00pm
Summer hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:00am.
SEATING IS LIMITED, RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED
~ NO WALK-INS ACCEPTED ~
Other important information:
1. Calculators, pencils and scratch paper are provided
2. Bring photo identification.
3. NO children are allowed in the Testing Room or unattended outside of the Testing Room
4. NO food or drinks are allowed
5. NO cell phones, pagers, language dictionaries, etc.
How to prepare for the test?
1. Become familiar with the format of the test by reviewing sample questions: http://www.act.org/compass/sample
2. Use the study guides to refresh your knowledge on the main sections of the test:
Basic Math Study Guide
Advanced Math Study Guide
Writing Study Guide
Reading Study Guide
Online Math and Science Tutorials: www.khanacademy.org
Placement Test Scores Explanation
3. On the day of the test:
a) Arrive 15 minutes early and check in at the Student Services Counter. The Dalles: Bldg. 3, Student Services, Hood River: Bldg. 1
b) Plan to stay for 2 to 3 hours. Tests are not timed, so take your time!
Columbia Gorge Community College
The Dalles Campus: 400 East Scenic Drive, The Dalles, OR 97058
Hood River Indian Creek Campus: 1730 College Way, Hood River, OR 97031
Student Services: TDC 541 506 6011, Fax: 541 298 3104, HRICC 541 308 8211, Fax: 541 308 8202